68.5 boxes or 34.25 linear feet plus odd sizes
The Communications Department grew out of the first Every Member Canvass in 1954. Ellsworth E.R.Wallace, the temporary director of the canvass, was retained to become the first Director of Communications, focusing on parish publications (which were printed in-house) and press representation. The Communications Department also conducted the subsequent Every Member Canvasses.The Rev. William B. Gray became Director in 1970 upon Wallace’s retirement. Under Gray’s tenure the department instituted Trinity’s use of television as a medium for ministry, first airing Sunday services on local cable in 1974. The Rev. Leonard W. Freeman became Communications Director in 1981, serving until 1987. Trinity News, the parish’s magazine, began during this period, and Freeman oversaw the publication of the parish report One Peppercorne. The department undertook the redesign and translations of church brochures and handled an increase in media requests and public relations activities. A state-of-the-art television studio was completed in 1985.
Scope and Content:The Communications Department record group contains a wide variety of material, including director’s files, parish publications, photographs, clippings, audio and video tapes, and film reels. Parish publications include two that predate the Communications Department: Trinity Record (1886-1917) andTrinity Parish Herald (1946-1951). Also included are the Trinity Parish Newsletter (1954-1986), News to Us (1984-present), and Trinity News (1987-present). The material contains over 30 boxes of photographs, most of which were used in parish publications. The photographs are arranged alphabetically by subject. There are approximately 11 boxes of newspaper and magazine clippings, plus several scrapbooks of clippings. Most of these clippings are from clipping services (Burrelle’s since 1998) and involve a wide variety of subjects at Trinity Church and her chapels. The large number of post-9/11 articles concern the relief efforts at St. Paul’s Chapel and the two exhibits commemorating them. The audio tapes are of the Trinity Church Hour on WQXR radio (1979-1986).