Chapel of Ease - dependent church built for expanding congregation or to accommodate parishioners that live at a distance from the parish church. A vicar often acts as priest-in-charge under the parish rector.
Church Farm - The Church Farm was a parcel of land stretching in present-day terms from Fulton Street to Christopher Street and from roughly Broadway and 6th Avenue to Greenwich Street. Initially the land belonged to the crown for the use of the Royal Governor and was known as the King’s Farm. In 1697, Governor Benjamin Fletcher leased the Farm to Trinity Church for seven years at a cost of sixty bushels of winter wheat per year. Fletcher, who had also procured the Church’s charter, provided the King’s Farm to Trinity as a needed source of income in a city where Anglicans were a minority.
Fletcher’s successor, Richard Coote, Earl of Bellomont, revoked the lease in 1699 believing that the property was the preserve of the Governor. Alienating it had left him “robbed of [his] conveniencys that is of a place where to keep a horse or a cow for the use of [his] family.” Bellomont replaced the £7 per annum the Church had earned through the Farm’s rent with £26 per annum for the rector’s house rent.
When Edward Hyde, Viscount Cornbury, became governor in 1702 after his cousin Queen Anne assumed the throne, he again leased the Farm, now styled the Queen’s Farm to Trinity Church under the same arrangements as Governor Fletcher. Queen Anne made a formal grant of the Farm to Trinity Church in 1705. When Robert Hunter became Governor in 1710, however, he denied that the Church could hold the Farm in perpetuity and agreed only to lease it for his own term. Possession of the Farm was finally determined in 1714 when the Queen sent a proclamation affirming the 1705 Grant and commanded the Governor to cease and desist all claims on the Church Farm.
As the City of New York grew, the value of the Church Farm increased. Trinity used the land and the income it provided to promote religion and education. By the 21st Century, most of the land had been sold or given away, but the Church continues to hold several commercial properties on the West Side of New York City in the vicinity of Canal Street. The proceeds from this property continue to be disbursed locally and globally by the Trinity Grants Program to encourage faith and spirituality.
Duke’s Farm - See Church Farm. Known as the Duke’s Farm after King Charles II granted New York to his brother James, Duke of York (later James II of England) because possession of the land was held by the Duke as proprietor of New York.
High Church - movement in the Episcopal Church that stresses apostolic succession, episcopacy, and liturgy. Evangelical or low church Episcopalians emphasized personal experience with God’s Grace and spontaneity in worship. During the 19th Century, the high church/low church disputes caused major friction in the Diocese of New York producing a fiery pamphlet war.
Rector - A full-time priest elected by a Vestry with the Bishop's approval, thereby having tenure. The responsibility for the conduct of worship and the spiritual jurisdiction of the Parish are vested in the Rector, subject to the Rubrics of the Book of Common Prayer, the Constitution and Canons of the Episcopal Church and the Diocese, the pastoral direction of the Bishop, and the Religious Corporation Laws of the State of New York.
Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (SPG) - Founded in England in 1701, the SPG was created to spread the gospel by supporting priests and schoolteachers in British colonies. In 1703, a New York merchant Elias Neau petitioned for the support of the Society to catechize Africans and Indians. Initially a French Huguenot, Neau converted to the Church of England, became a vestryman of Trinity Church, and served as a catechist under its auspices. The SPG continued to provide support to Trinity in the form of successive catechists, school teachers for the charity school, and assistant priests until the American Revolution ended the relationship.