Real Estate, [1879, 1944-] 1971-1988
37boxes, 18.5 linear feet plus oversize
For Real Estate prior to 1971, see Vestry/Real Estate (to 1815) and Finance/Real Estate (1815-1971).Historical Note:
Real Estate was removed from the Finance Department and placed under the new office of Deputy for Parish Resources during the parish reorganization of 1971. The name of the division and its executive officer changed multiple times since then. The Deputy for Parish resources became the Deputy for Resource Development in 1976, then Deputy for Operations in 1979. In 1992, the division was renamed Real Estate headed by an Executive Vice President. The areas included in the Real Estate division were Tenant Relations and Lease Administration/ Real Estate Planning, the Cemetery, Property Management, and Leasing.
Since 1971, Trinity Real Estate has weathered a number of market fluctuations. During the city’s fiscal crisis of the 1970s, Trinity suffered a high vacancy rate and some tenants went into bankruptcy. In the 1980s, the parish implemented plans to modernize its properties. The printing industry, which made up the bulk of tenants, was in flux, as technological advances required far less work space, and a number of companies moved to cheaper spaces in the outer boroughs or New Jersey. Trinity Real Estate anticipated a shift in the neighborhood from manufacturing to office space and renovated their buildings to attract a different clientele.
Scope and Content:This record group contains material relating to parish and commercial real estate after 1971 though there are some records from an earlier date. The purchase, lease and sale of Trinity properties, as well as strategic planning, marketing and development are documented.
The records contain the files of the Deputy for Parish Resources (Head of Real Estate) from 1972 to 1979. They are grouped under subject headings—Organization (Org), Personnel (Per), Real Estate Church (RECH), and so on, and concern parish and administrative matters. There are also departmental files on real estate, both Church and Commercial. The files are arranged by street, then by address and pertain especially to the properties of 99 Ave. of the Americas, 101 Ave. of the Americas, 304 Hudson Street, 345 Hudson Street, and 375 Hudson Street.
Found here also is material relating to Trinity’s clergy housing, property appraisals, parish chapels (especially regarding the 1976 separation agreements), and parish programs.