Updates

From the Archives

On March 8, 1875, noted diarist and Trinity Vestryman George Templeton Strong wrote in his diary that “Cisco, Astor, and two or three others presented [the Vestry] with a portrait of the late Rev. Frank Vinton, by LeClear. It’s a good picture and lifelike and has one great advantage over its revered original, namely, that it preaches not. One doesn’t feel the least disposition to say, ‘O that those lips had language!’”

If those lips had had

Read more

Did you know that the roof of St. Paul's Chapel is held up by tree trunks? Read about those trees, and many other fascinating details of the Chapel’s construction history, in a 1962 Parish Newsletter (a precursor to Trinity News) story about discoveries made during a conservation project

Read more

Today the guns are silent. A great tragedy has ended.”
General Douglas MacArthur, September 2, 1945

The Sunday of Labor Day weekend seventy years ago brought the official conclusion of the Second World War. The end came on the deck of the battleship Missouri, with

Read more

By Joseph Lapinski, Assistant Archivist

What would you imagine the punishment, in 1767, would be for stealing books from a church? A fine? Community service? Death?

Death may seem extreme but that was exactly the punishment handed down to one individual who was caught stealing books out of St. Paul’s Chapel on August 6, 1767.

For the pilfering of a few unnamed books from St. Paul’s Chapel, William Johnson was indicted on

Read more

Much changed for American citizens—and for Trinity Church—when Pearl Harbor was attacked on December 7, 1941. No longer able to play a supporting role in the war, the United States became active participants in World War II after that attack. Over the next four years, Trinity Church served as a spiritual refuge to many workers and residents of New York City’s Financial District—offering special services to those seeking sanctuary from the stresses and fears

Read more

The Lawrence monument in Trinity's south churchyard

This Monday, the nation pauses to remember the women and men who died in service of the country’s armed forces. While many veterans are interred in parish cemeteries, fewer are buried here who died while serving.

Read more
 
On March 20, 1777, the Rev. Charles Inglis stood among the ruins of Trinity Church and placed his hand on the crumbling, scorched wall. As the vestry looked on, warden Elias Desbrosses instituted Inglis as the fourth rector of Trinity
Read more

The Palm Sunday procession has been a tradition in Trinity parish since at least the 1970s. Find out more about this year's procession here, and watch a video about the Palm Sunday liturgy here

Read more
 
This Archivist’s Mailbag is part of a series on Trinity and public health. To read about Trinity and public health from 1696-1850, click here
 
 
The
Read more

By Joseph Lapinski; Assistant Archivist, Trinity Wall Street 

Early 18th century sermons, diaries of a long-standing rector, original architectural drawings of a National Historic Landmark church, and

Read more

Pages