Updates

From the Archives

Step outside the gates of Trinity and into the bustle of Broadway and you'll likely to hear tour guides repeating some common myths about the parish.

The Archivist Mailbag has a favorite tour guide myth: Trinity Church was built by Captain Hook and his pirates. (And yet, there is no mention of Tinkerbell in the vestry minutes….) But Trinity Church does have a connection to a famous privateer: in 1696, Captain

Read more
John Henry Hopkins, Jr.

Today, Christians around the world celebrate the Feast of the Epiphany, known in some cultures as Three Kings Day. The culmination of the Christmas season, it commemorates the visitation of the three wise men, or Magi, to the infant Christ.

Many
Read more

Wednesday, October 31, 1866

It was the year after the end of the American Civil War. Andrew Johnson was president. New York City was a growing metropolis, flush with Irish immigrants who brought their All Hallows Eve customs with them.

Over the next decades, the gourd-carving, ghost-fleeing, Catholic All Hallows Eve customs of these immigrants would merge with American harvest festivals and religious beliefs (and native plants like the pumpkin) to create the modern

Read more

During the rejuvenation of the nave of Trinity Church, 11:15am Sunday Holy Eucharists are held in St. Paul's Chapel, site of the monument to General Richard Montgomery, who was interred 200 years ago this Sunday, on July 8, 1818. 

The monument to General Richard Montgomery is fixed to the east window of St. Paul’s Chapel, facing Broadway. Tourists, over a million a year, pass into

Read more



The Montgomery monument, after restoration


After nearly four months of painstaking restoration, the monument to General Richard Montgomery is back on display at St. Paul's Chapel. Read

Read more


Click the image for a photo gallery about the latest mystery at the Montgomery Monument.

Read more
 

Trinity Wall Street recently opened Charlotte’s Place in a storefront space on Greenwich Street that had long been used for storage. Named for a devoted, longtime member of the parish, Charlotte’s Place is open to all and free to use — a place where volunteers can connect and other affinity groups can meet.

 
When Trinity Church was founded in 1697, what is now Charlotte’s Place was
Read more



Celebrating its royal heritage and ties to the Anglican Communion, Trinity Church on April 29 was a screening site for the royal wedding of HRH Prince William of Wales and Catherine Middleton. This got the Archivist thinking about another high-profile wedding in Trinity’s history: that of General Tom Thumb and Miss Lavinia Warren in 1863.

In 1863, at the time of the wedding, General

Read more

The rebuilt 567-573 Greenwich Street building. 

March 25, 2011, marks the 100th anniversary of Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire. The fire, which broke out in an 8th floor garment factory near Washington Square Park, killed 146 workers, most of them teenage immigrant girls, largely because of lax workplace safety standards. One of the two exits to the factory was locked,

Read more

In the 1950s and 60s it was a tradition at the Chapel of the Intercession (then a part of Trinity Parish) to hold Mardi Gras balls. Based on “authentic New Orleans” celebrations, the young people of Intercession organized the semi-formal dances around themes such as “circus”, and “Viennese Waltz at the Court of Franz Josef I.” 

A 1960 parish newsletter article described the ball this way:

In addition to dancing, there was
Read more

Pages